Statement as issued Thursday morning by the city of Fort Wayne:
Fort Wayne, Ind. – A swearing-in ceremony was held today for new Director of Public Safety Rusty York and new Police Chief Garry Hamilton.
Priorities for Director of Public Safety:
*Oversee the Fort Wayne Police Department and Fort Wayne Fire Department/Responsible for reviewing and ensuring that staffing levels in the police and fire departments meet the needs of the City
*Lead efforts to receive grant funding
*Mentor public safety employees
*Provide direction and input on union negotiations
Priorities for Police Chief:
*Strategic plan to address homicides and other crime activity
*Communication efforts with neighborhoods and businesses
*Utilization of technology
*Continued commitment to collaborate with the other law enforcement agencies that work with the Fort Wayne Police Department to reduce violence and solve crimes
"My administration has a strong commitment to public safety," said Mayor Tom Henry. "Having an experienced, professional leadership team in our police department is critical in our efforts to make our City as safe as possible. We're dedicated to providing citizens and businesses with a great quality of life, strong neighborhoods, and making investments to enhance opportunities for new jobs and economic development."
Also today, promotions and transfers within the police department were announced.
- Steven Reed has been promoted to Assistant Police Chief. Most recently, Reed was Director of Training at the Fort Wayne Police Academy. Reed is a 20-year veteran of the department and holds an associate's degree from Vincennes University.
- Derrick Westfield has been promoted to Deputy Chief of the Southeast Division. Westfield most recently served as Captain of the Southwest Division. Westfield is a 17-year veteran of the department and holds a bachelor's degree from Ball State University.
- Scott Berning has been promoted to Captain of the Southwest Division. Berning most recently served at the Fort Wayne Police Academy. Berning joined the Fort Wayne Police Department in 1994 and holds a bachelor's degree from Ball State University.
- Deborah Joyner has been promoted to a Captain in the Investigative Division. Joyner most recently served as a Sergeant in the Southeast Division. She's been with the Fort Wayne Police Department since 1981.
- Karl Niblick, Deputy Chief of the Northwest Division
- Marty Bender, Deputy Chief of Special Operations
- Tom Bandor, Liaison Officer to the Allen County Prosecutor's Office
- Shane Lee, Captain at the Fort Wayne Police Academy
- Mitch McKinney, Sergeant at the Fort Wayne Police Academy