Doctors and nurses weren’t sure what was wrong with the lethargic and vomiting 2-year-old brought to them Monday night.
But then they conducted a blood test.
The child had a blood-alcohol level of 0.27 percent, according to a Fort Wayne Police report.
That’s more than three times the legal limit for an adult to drive.
The child was brought to a local hospital via ambulance sometime before 11:30 p.m. Monday, according to the police report.
Once medical staff saw the results of the child’s blood test, police were called.
The child’s guardian was present at the hospital and spoke with police, though much of the police report detailing what was said has been redacted.
The guardian was in the process of adopting the child, according to the police report, and lives with several other people.
The child had been put to bed at about 7:30 or 8 p.m. that day, the guardian told police, but the child woke at least once during the night.
Someone – it’s unclear in the report whether it was the guardian or someone else in the home – tried to put the child back to sleep and then laid down with the child for awhile.
At some point the child made a “gurgle” sound, the report said.
The guardian found the child had vomited and become unresponsive.
The guardian turned the child on his or her side to keep him or her from choking, the report said.
When told of the child’s blood-alcohol level, the guardian said someone in the home might have been drinking vodka that night, the report said.
“(The guardian) stated that (the child) is very inquisitive and would drink it if it had been left out accidentally,” an officer wrote in his report.
Hospital staff listed the child in serious condition that night, according to the report.
The child was then transported to a pediatric intensive care unit while officials with the Indiana Department of Child Services were called.
The child’s current condition was not immediately available.
Thus far, no arrests have been made or charges brought against anyone connected to the child’s intoxication.