You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to www.journalgazette.net/newsletter and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

Indiana

  • Man pleads guilty after deadly freak accident
    A South Bend man has pleaded guilty to leaving the scene of an accident while driving intoxicated causing serious bodily injury in a freak accident where a minivan passenger was killed when her head hit a telephone pole guy wire while
  • Active shooter video being filmed at Indianapolis airport
     INDIANAPOLIS – Travelers passing through Indianapolis International Airport this week might encounter the filming of a training video for active shooter incidents by the Transportation Security Administration.
  • State Police switching to online gun permit system
     INDIANAPOLIS – Indiana State Police are switching to an online gun permitting system that will bring end to the era of paper applications for those permits.
Advertisement

Fire kills 3 children; father badly burned saving 2 others

HAMMOND, Ind. – A northwestern Indiana fire official says space heaters being used to warm a house without a working furnace apparently sparked a fire that killed three children, including an infant.

Chief Fire Inspector Michael Opinker said the victims' 28-year-old father was badly burned rescuing two of his other children from the fire in Hammond. He was in critical condition at a Chicago hospital's burn unit.

Wednesday night's fire killed 7-month-old Jayden Young, his 4-year-old brother, Dasani Young and their 3-year-old sister, Alexia Young. All three died at the scene from burns.

Opinker told The Times of Munster (http://bit.ly/1iWtrxZ) space heaters are believed to have played a role in the fatal blaze. He said the family's home had no heat and they were using propane space heaters to heat the house.

Advertisement