You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

Police and fire

  • Police search for husband after wfe stabbed
    A woman was hospitalized Tuesday night after police said an argument with her husband at their home near Warsaw ended with her suffering several stab wounds. When police arrived shortly before 6 p.m.
  • Dog's former ownercharged with cruelty
    As Loki, the dog lived a horrible life.Unable to escape his urine-soaked cage, he was starving, caked in feces and barely able to stand when Animal Care & Control found him in late March.
  • Pair face charges in shooting death
    Two men implicated in a killing that supposedly stemmed from stolen drugs and money are now facing formal charges.

Standoff ends in man’s arrest

A man was arrested early Thursday when police found him in a basement after a standoff that ended peacefully south of downtown.

Officers were called to 124 Esmond St. at 1:35 a.m. They were told Elgin M. Davis, 27, had threatened to shoot his ex-girlfriend inside and any officer who tried to come in.

Police said Davis was barred from having any contact with the woman and that a court issued a no-contact order resulting from a previous domestic case involving the two.

After about an hour, police decided to bring in the Critical Response and Emergency Services teams. Before the specialty teams arrived, the woman was able to safely escape the home, the police said.

Attempts to talk with Davis and the use of several rounds of gas were unsuccessful in getting him to come out, so a robot was sent inside.

Davis was found unarmed in the basement, at which point he surrendered, police said

He’s charged with probation violation, for which he was being held without bail. He’s also charged with invasion of privacy.

No injuries were reported, police said.

During the standoff, police blocked traffic on Esmond Street between Calhoun and Clinton streets and on Calhoun from Pontiac Street to Wildwood Avenue. Traffic was back to normal about 6:30 a.m., police said.