You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

Police and fire

  • 9 arrested in Warsaw drug raid
    Warsaw Police arrested seven adults and two juveniles during a drug raid Saturday that has put “significant drug suppliers in Kosciusko County” behind bars on preliminary charges.
  • Fugitive gets friend in trouble
    A wanted man’s hiding spot in the trunk of a car not only failed to keep him out of police sight – and ultimately jail – but it’s now got his lady friend in trouble as well.
  • Area school break-in caught on video
    Police are investigating a Monday morning burglary at Tippecanoe Valley Middle School.
Allen County Sheriff's Department
David E. Hunter

Second suspect in gasoline, machete attack charged

Allen County Sheriff's Department
Tamekia M. Spivey

– Formal charges were filed Wednesday against the second person accused in a gasoline and machete attack against a Fort Wayne man late last year.

David E. Hunter, 29, of the 4100 block of Lillie Street, was charged with battery, a Class C felony punishable by up to eight years in prison, and criminal recklessness, a Class D felony punishable by up to three years.

The charges are identical to those filed Tuesday against Tamekia M. Spivey, 36. The Allen County Prosecutor's Office is reviewing the case to see whether more serious charges are warranted, officials said.

The two are accused in a brutal attack on Marcus Boone last November that left him with a severed artery in his wrist and burns over a quarter of his body.

According to court documents, Boone and Hunter got into an argument over money inside a house in the 3500 block of Lillie Street.

The discussion turned violent when Hunter accused Boone of stealing money from him. At that point, Spivey grabbed the machete and began swinging at Boone.

A witness told police he saw Hunter pin Boone to the sofa as Spivey hit him in the head with a board, according to court documents.

Boone told police he was knocked unconscious and that when he awoke, he smelled gasoline. He said he realized someone had doused him with fuel, and he saw Spivey with a lighter.

He said he heard Hunter telling Spivey to set him on fire, and she moved the lighter closer until the fumes ignited, according to court records. Flames engulfed Boone, and he suffered burns to 23 percent of his body.

Another witness told police he heard Boone, Hunter and Spivey quarreling over money. He said he saw Spivey stab at Boone with the machete and then saw Hunter and Spivey tie him up and drag him into the kitchen, according to court documents.

When police arrived at the scene, they found Boone's smoldering clothes near the Lillie Street home.

Boone escaped the house and wandered, bloody and burned, through the area, leaving a trail of blood from the house to Winter and Oxford streets.

Hunter had not been arrested as of Wednesday night, according to court records. Spivey was being held without bail on a probation violation.