You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.


  • Guilty plea filed in near-record marijuana haul
    A 51-year-old Indianapolis man pleaded guilty in U.S. District Court, admitting to dealing large quantities of marijuana shipped in appliances.
  • City to pay $15,000 in police shooting
    The city of Fort Wayne will pay $15,000 to the estate of a man killed by police in late December 2010. Originally filed in Allen Superior Court, the lawsuit was transferred to federal court.
  • Warsaw printer accused over firing
    The Indiana Civil Rights Commission found probable cause that a Warsaw company discriminated against a pregnant employee. According to a press release issued Friday, the Warsaw location of R.

Confinement case brings rapist 20-year sentence


– Brian Mast went back to prison Friday.

In a brief and uneventful sentencing hearing just days after he pleaded guilty to a charge of criminal confinement, the 47-year-old convicted rapist was sentenced to 20 years in prison by Allen Superior Court Judge John Surbeck.

He has spent most of his adult life behind bars, and when he has been out of custody in recent years, it has not lasted long.

After being released from prison in August 2012, having served a lengthy prison sentence for rape, Mast was arrested weeks later on charges of criminal confinement and escape. He was also accused of being a habitual offender.

In exchange for his guilty plea Tuesday, moments before his trial was to begin, prosecutors dismissed the additional charges against him.

In September 2012, Mast was living at the Traveler’s Inn in the 4600 block of East Washington Boulevard. Armed with his roommate’s box cutter, he held the roommate, Donald Seager, then 49, in the room.

Seager, a registered sex offender, told police he was “a little scared” about Mast’s rants about hating child molesters.

According to court documents, Mast was visiting with other residents at the motel about 1:30 a.m. Sept. 18, 2012, and was drinking. He became argumentative and demanded a knife so he could cut off his ankle monitor and leave.

Police were called, and after arguing with them for a few minutes, Mast let them into his room and was taken into custody, according to court documents.

Mast has been in and out of prison and the Allen County Jail in recent years since Indiana’s Court of Appeals overturned his 1989 guilty plea to charges of rape. He was accused of stabbing and raping a woman inside her Fort Wayne home. The court ordered a new trial after concerns were raised about Mast’s mental health at the time of his original guilty plea.

He was sentenced to 30 years in prison. Mast served much of the time, having received little to no time off his sentence for good behavior.

In late 2010, Mast pleaded guilty, again, to the original charge of rape and was sentenced to 20 years in prison – most of which he had already served – and five years of probation. After failing to comply with the terms of his probation, Mast was returned to prison in January 2012 to finish the sentence.

At Friday’s sentencing hearing, additional Allen County police officers were on hand in case Mast became unruly. His behavior in court over the years has been unpredictable.

His court-appointed attorney, Randy Fisher, asked Surbeck to accept the plea recommendation, saying it was an agreement with which Mast had made peace.