You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to www.journalgazette.net/newsletter and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

Police and fire

  • 6 years given for machete attack
    She struck him with a machete, severing an artery in his wrist. Then she smacked him in the head with a board while her boyfriend held him down on a sofa.
  • 4 years given for beating with beer mug
    When he awoke, he saw his family surrounding him. Chad Rockey doesn’t remember how long he was out.
  • Young dad gets 6 years for infant's brain injury
    He described it as bouncing. Doctors called it shaking. Derek S. Hultz did something that left his 3-month-old son in critical condition at a local hospital suffering from life-threatening bleeding on the boy’s brain.
Advertisement

Firefighters: McKee blaze caused by child playing with lighter

Sunday's fire on McKee Street was accidentally caused by a child playing with a lighter, the Fort Wayne Fire Department said today.

A woman and her 4-year-old son were at home at the time of the 8 p.m. fire in the 1300 block of McKee, the fire department has said.

The woman escaped and told police the child was inside, firefighters said. They said he was found hiding inside an entertainment-center cabinet and was evacuated.

Both were treated at a local hospital for minor smoke inhalation, firefighters said.

They said residents should:

  • Secure lighters and matches away from children.
  • Educate your children on the dangers caused by experimenting with fire.
  • Be sure to have working smoke detectors inside the home. Change their batteries annually.
  • Have an escape plan.
  • Practice your escape plan. Plan and practice how to safely get out in case of a fire.

Advertisement