You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to www.journalgazette.net/newsletter and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

World

  • Iceland: Subglacial eruption is underway
    REYKJAVIK, Iceland – Iceland’s Meteorological Office says a subglacial eruption is underway at the Bardarbunga volcano, which has been rattled by thousands of earthquakes over the past week.
  • Militia: Airstrikes in Libya’s capital kill 15
     CAIRO – A senior Islamist militia leader says two airstrikes targeting its positions in Libya’s capital, Tripoli, have killed 15 fighters and wounded 20.
  • Russian aid trucks begin to leave Ukraine
     DONETSK, Russia – Trucks marked as being from a bitterly disputed Russian aid convoy to Ukraine began returning to Russia on Saturday.
Advertisement
Associated Press
Nigeria’s chief of defense staff, Air Marshal Alex Badeh, center, speaks during a demonstration about the kidnapped girls who have been located.

Nigerian chief of defense says girls located

– Nigeria’s military has located nearly 300 schoolgirls abducted by Islamic extremists but fears using force to try to free them could get them killed, the country’s chief of defense said Monday.

Air Marshal Alex Badeh told demonstrators supporting the much criticized military that Nigerian troops can save the girls. But he added, “we can’t go and kill our girls in the name of trying to get them back.”

He spoke to thousands of demonstrators who marched to Defense Ministry headquarters in Abuja, the capital. Many were brought in on buses, indicating it was an organized event.

Asked by reporters where they had found the girls, Badeh refused to elaborate.

“We want our girls back. I can tell you we can do it. Our military can do it. But where they are held, can we go with force?” he asked the crowd.

People roared back, “No!”

“If we go with force what will happen?” he asked.

“They will die,” the demonstrators responded.

That appeared to leave negotiation the sole option, but a human rights activist close to negotiators said a deal to swap the girls for detained Boko Haram members was agreed last week and then scuttled at the last minute by President Goodluck Jonathan.

The activist who is close to those mediating between Boko Haram extremists and government officials said the girls would have been freed last week Monday.

Jonathan had already told British officials that he would not consider an exchange. The source spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the issue.

Nigeria’s military and government have faced national and international outrage over their failure to rescue the girls seized by Boko Haram militants from a remote northeastern school six weeks ago.

President Jonathan was forced this month to accept international help. American planes have been searching for the girls and Britain, France, Israel and other countries have sent experts in surveillance and hostage negotiation.

A U.S. Defense Department spokesman said the department cannot confirm the reports about the Nigerian girls at this point. The official, who was not authorized to speak publicly about the situation, spoke on background.

More than 300 teenagers were abducted from their school in the town Chibok on April 15.

Police say 53 escaped on their own and 276 remain captive.

A Boko Haram video has shown some of the girls reciting Quranic verses in Arabic and two of them explaining why they had converted from Christianity to Islam in captivity.

Unverified reports are that two may have died of snakebites, that some have been forced to marry their abductors and that some may have been carried across borders into Chad and Cameroon.

Advertisement