You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

Full Count


TinCaps end 1st half on sour note, fall 12-3

FORT WAYNE – The TinCaps committed four errors and allowed a season-high 22 hits in a 12-3 loss to Bowling Green on Sunday at Parkview Field.

The TinCaps lost two of three in the series and enter the All-Star break with a 30-39 record.

Bowling Green (32-37) used a gem by right-hander Jaime Schultz, who has a 0.93 ERA, to hold onto an early lead. Schultz (2-0) went six innings and allowed one earned run on seven hits with eight strikeouts.

Meanwhile, Walker Weickel (1-8) snapped a string of three consecutive starts in which he had gone six innings and allowed three runs or less. The big righty gave up 11 hits and three earned runs Sunday in four innings.

The TinCaps’ defense made two run-scoring errors Saturday and two more Sunday. Three of the four were committed by River Stevens. On Sunday, with Bowling Green ahead 1-0 in the second, Stevens dropped a throw that allowed a runner to race home. Later in the inning, on Johnny Field’s RBI infield single, Stevens made a bad throw that let in a fourth run.

The TinCaps fell behind 7-0 before scoring twice in the sixth. One run came on an error and the other on an RBI groundout by Fernando Perez. The Hot Rods added two more in the seventh and gave up Adolfo Reina’s RBI single in the bottom half.

TinCaps center fielder Mallex Smith, set to be promoted to high-A Lake Elsinore after he plays in Tuesday’s Midwest League All-Star game, finished 2 for 4 to raise his average to .295. Smith received some applause in his final at-bat.

It might be a fluke, but the TinCaps are 1-7 in games played on Sunday. They are 6-16 in day games and 24-23 at night.

TinCaps first baseman Jake Bauers was ejected in the fifth inning after arguing a called third strike with plate umpire Marc Lindsey.