Statements verbatim, as issued Wednesday by Indiana Senate Democratic Leader Tim Lanane:
“I hail the decision of the court in favor of equal rights. Today, Indiana has joined the ranks of 19 other states where families of all types are recognized and individuals are granted the freedom to marry without the unjustified prejudice of the state.
“I’m not surprised by this ruling because it is in accordance with a wave of decisions in other states dealing with similar statutes.
“This is a win for equality, the community, and those who have taken a stand over the years to protect the rights of ALL Hoosiers.
“Many community organizations, members of the clergy, and Hoosier businesses have banded together to stand for equal rights.
“Meanwhile, republicans have attempted to amend bigotry into our constitution and have taken a clear stand against marriage equality in their own platform.
“This ruling, along with the families that came to the statehouse day-in and day-out to protest HJR-3 should be a clear message to republicans; stop wasting our tax dollars on your out-of-touch agendas.
“Ultimately, this lends credence to the idea that the legislature need not take further action on this issue and doing so would be an exercise of futility and a waste of our time.”
- Allen County is following gay-marriage order
- Judge strikes down Indiana's ban on same-sex marriage
- Indiana attorney general will ask for a stay
- Indiana group to celebrate gay-marriage ruling
- Biden: Gay rights take priority over culture
- Human Rights Campaign: Bans on marriage cannot withstand judicial review
- ACLU of Indiana: We are ecstatic
- Hoosiers Unite for Marriage: Today, justice has been done, and love wins