Tuesday, July 22, 2014 5:00 pm
10 Things to Know for Wednesday
1. HAMAS ROCKET EXPLODES NEAR ISRAEL'S MAIN AIRPORT
The shelling prompts a ban on many flights to Tel Aviv from the U.S., Europe and Canada.
2. PRO-RUSSIA MILITANTS BLAMED IN DOWNING OF PLANE
Ukraine separatists almost certainly shot down the Malaysian plane, U.S. officials have concluded. But so far investigators haven't found any direct link between the missile launch and Moscow.
3. FRESH CHALLENGE FOR 'OBAMACARE'
Financial aid for millions of health care enrollees can be provided only in states that have set up their own insurance exchanges, a court declares.
4. WHO'S BEARISH ON AMERICAN ECONOMY
David A. Levy, the economist who predicted the severe downturn a decade ago, says he foresees another recession in the U.S. next year.
5. TSARNAEV FRIEND ARRESTED ON DRUG, WEAPONS CHARGES
The man is believed to have provided the gun used by the Boston Marathon bombing suspects to kill an MIT policeman.
6. WHY MOMENTUM'S MOUNTING AT APPLE
Anticipation is building for the release of the next iPhone, which is expected to feature the bigger screen that consumers covet.
7. CHRISTIANS PAINT DIRE PICTURE OF LIFE UNDER ISLAMISTS
They say they left their belongings behind and fled the Iraqi city of Mosul rather than convert to Islam under a deadline imposed by the extremists.
8. WHAT'S EMBARRASSING BUCKINGHAM PALACE
A racehorse owned by Britain's queen has tested positive for a banned painkiller. Contaminated feed might be to blame.
9. DIRECTORS REFUSING TO SAY 'CUT'
Clint Eastwood, who's 84, and 78-year-old Woody Allen are among older filmmakers still hard at work.
10. MICHAEL SAM TAKES THE FIELD
The NFL's first openly gay draftee — participating in the first practice for Rams' rookies — says his focus is on making the team.