Wednesday, August 06, 2014 5:06 pm
10 Things to Know for Thursday
1. BANK OF AMERICA NEARS DEAL OVER MORTGAGES
The bank tentatively agrees to forfeit between $16 billion and $17 billion — by far the largest Justice Department settlement arising from the economic meltdown.
2. WHAT EACH SIDE WANTS IN GAZA
As negotiations begin, Hamas wants an end to the blockade of the battered territory. Israel says the militant group must disarm before that can happen.
3. STUNG BY SANCTIONS, PUTIN STRIKES BACK
He orders stiff trade cuts with countries that have imposed economic penalties on Russia during the Ukraine crisis.
4. HOW EBOLA CAN BE HALTED
Health authorities say the outbreak can be stopped just the way previous ones were — by isolating anyone with symptoms and taking other precautions.
5. POLITICIANS INSPIRE SCANT CONFIDENCE
Three-quarters of Americans doubt the federal government will address the important problems facing the country this year, according to an AP-GfK poll.
6. COURT HEARS SAME-SEX MARRIAGE CASES FROM FOUR STATES
During a landmark session, a federal appeals court considers whether gays have a fundamental right to wed under the U.S. Constitution.
7. BERGDAHL UNDERGOES FORMAL QUESTIONING
The Army is investigating the soldier's disappearance in Afghanistan and his five years as a Taliban captive.
8. 'ROSETTA' SIDLES UP TO COMET AFTER 4-BILLION-MILE TREK
If all goes as planned, the unmanned European space probe will drop a lander onto the giant lump of dust and ice in the coming months.
9. WOMAN WITHOUT TICKET ABLE TO FLY FROM SAN JOSE TO LA
It's the San Jose airport's second security breach in recent months, after a teenager stowed away in the wheel well of a flight from there to Hawaii.
10. WHO'S READY TO GO CLUBBING
Tiger Woods says his back is healthy and he'll tee it up at this week's PGA Championship.