Skip to main content

The Journal Gazette

Monday, June 19, 2017 1:32 pm

Residents escape duplex fire

The Journal Gazette

Residents escaped a fire inside a duplex on Elizabeth Street on Monday morning, Fort Wayne firefighters said.

The Fort Wayne Fire Department was called to 322 Elizabeth St. shortly before 11 a.m. on a report of smoke coming from the front windows.

Firefighters found a fire on in the bedroom of the first floor of the two-story duplex, and were able to get it under control before it could spread to the apartment on the second floor, the fire department said in a statement.

Three cats died from smoke inhalation, the statement said.

The fire is under investigation.