Tuesday, November 28, 2017 11:47 am
Verbatim: Work begins on sidewalk improvements
The Journal Gazette
The city of Fort Wayne issued this news release today:
Fort Wayne, Ind. – Efforts to enhance sidewalks in the City of Fort Wayne are underway with the first neighborhood sidewalk improvement project as part of City Council’s recent passage of an increase to the local income tax.
Bluffton Road from south of Reservation Drive to Dunkelberg Road is the first of many projects to occur in Fort Wayne neighborhoods.
Arterial sidewalk projects planned for 2018
- Hessen Cassel Road from Oxford Street to Paulding Road;
- Decatur Road from Gable Road to Hanna Street;
- Winchester Road from Ardis Lane to Lower Huntington Road;
- Stellhorn Road from Sirlin Drive to Maplecrest Road;
- Reed Road from Stellhorn to St. Joe Center roads;
- North Clinton Street from Colony Drive to Auburn Road;
- St. Joe Center Road from Maplecrest Road to Arlington Elementary School;
- St. Joe Center Road from Medical Protective Drive to Maplecrest Road.
“It’s critical to invest in neighborhood infrastructure projects that will have a lasting impact,” said Mayor Tom Henry. “By working together on proactive sidewalk initiatives, we’re meeting the safety and connectivity needs of residents and neighborhoods and positioning Fort Wayne as a point of destination to live, work and play.”
City Councilmen Dr. John Crawford, Tom Didier, Tom Freistroffer, Glynn Hines, Geoff Paddock and Michael Barranda voted in favor of the income tax plan to provide additional revenues for needed neighborhood infrastructure enhancements and future phases of riverfront development.
The .13 percent adjustment in the local income tax will generate $8.7 million per year to add new sidewalks to address areas of Fort Wayne Community Schools that lack sidewalks for children, improve alleys and move forward with phases II and III of riverfront development.