Monday, August 20, 2018 6:27 pm
Verbatim: Woodburn youth gets 4-H best of show at state fair
The Journal Gazette
The Indiana State Fair issued this news release today:
August 20, 2018, INDIANAPOLIS, IN -- As the 2018 Indiana State Fair drew to a close Sunday night, one major event remained for 4-H youth whose hard work and dedication had earned them the right to attend the Celebration of Champions in the Indiana Farmers Coliseum. The Indiana State Fair Foundation’s Celebration of Champions awards 4-H youth for achievement, scholarship and hard work.
These young Hoosiers have spent the last year working hard to raise livestock of various species, weights and classes, while others have grown crops and cultivated bee colonies. Another notable accomplishment came from the best of show recipient, Adrienne Spieth, who converted a 1930s washing machine into a cooler. Their work was rewarded during the Celebration of Champions dinner and program where each received a coveted purple banner.
Nearly $200,000 was raised by the Indiana State Fair Foundation to provide monetary awards and to present Celebration of Champions dinner to honor the accomplishments and work ethic of Hoosier youth. The Indiana State Fair is known throughout the country as having one of the best agricultural fairs and hosting the largest and most diverse 4-H competitions.
In total, 25 deserving youth were honored, including each of the Grand and Reserve Grand Champions.
- 4-H Exhibit Hall Best of Show: Adrienne Spieth, Woodburn
- Grand Champion Garden Exhibit: Gwen Brubaker, Huntertown
- Grand Champion Cache of Honey: Lucas Juengel, Decatur
- Grand Champion Meat Pen of Rabbits: Brooke Kneubuhler, Greensburg
- Grand Champion Commercial Waterfowl: Morgan Waggoner, Hendricks County
- Grand Champion Meat Type Chicken: Audrey Bischoff, Huntington
- Grand Champion Dairy Steer: Kale Beer, Berne
- Grand Champion Meat Goat Wether: Spencer Goettemoeller, Winchester
- Grand Champion Market Lamb: Lane Slaton, Noblesville
- Grand Champion Market Steer: Hadley Hendrickson, Farmland
- Reserve Grand Champion Meat Goat Wether: Maxwell Scamihorn, Terre Haute
- Reserve Grand Champion Market Lamb: Gabrielle Raute, Carmel
- Reserve Grand Champion Market Barrow: Lakyn Mauck, Gaston
- Reserve Grand Champion Market Steer: Harlee Henney, Angola