Monday, June 03, 2019 12:19 pm
Komets announce protected list
The Journal Gazette
The Fort Wayne Komets issued this news release today:
Fort Wayne, IN-- The Fort Wayne Komets announced their protected list of players Monday as submitted to the ECHL following the 2018-19 season. The list of 23 players includes 13 forwards, nine defensemen and one goaltender.
Forwards include Jordan Sims, Mason Baptista, Brady Shaw, Kyle Hope, J.C. Campagna, Marco Roy, Jamie Schaafsma, Jake Kamrass, Shawn Szydlowski, Anthony Petruzzelli, Anthony Nellis, Gabriel Desjardins and Gage Torrel.
Defensemen include Jason Binkley, Craig Cescon, Cody Sol, Cam Knight, Sean Flanagan, Josh Elmes, Curtis Leonard, Chase Stewart and Ryan Lowney.
The goaltender listed is Alex Dubeau.
Teams are allowed to protect as many players as they wish provided the players protected meet the guidelines as defined in the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the ECHL and the Professional Hockey Players’ Association which state that teams shall retain the rights to each player that:
1. Signed an SPC in 2018-19 with the Member, and has not been traded or released, OR
2. Signed an SPC in 2018-19, and was recalled to the NHL/AHL or IIHF team, and has not been traded or released, OR
3. Had received a Qualifying Offer last summer for the current Season, DID NOT sign an SPC, and has not been traded or released, OR
4. Has been suspended by the Member or League, and has not been traded or released, OR
5. Signed an SPC on or after the first day of the 2018-19 Regular Season, then subsequently signed an NHL/AHL contract, and has not been traded or released, OR
6. Has executed the ECHL Retirement Form, and has not been traded or released.
Protected lists may exceed 20 players.
The ECHL also announced that teams must complete all Future Consideration trades by 3 p.m. ET on June 13 and that teams must submit their Season-Ending Roster by 3 p.m. ET on June 15.
Season-ending rosters may include up to 20 players and cannot include any players who did not sign an ECHL contract in 2018-19.
The Komets will open the 2019-20 campaign on Saturday, Oct. 12 when the Kalamazoo Wings visit for a 7:35pm faceoff on Sweetwater Ice at the Memorial Coliseum.