Skip to main content

The Journal Gazette

Sunday, November 06, 2016 3:43 pm

K's rally but lose in OT

Justin A. Cohn | The Journal Gazette

Kyle Thomas scored twice. Trevor Cheek kept up his ferocious return to the team. And the Komets rallied from a two-goal third-period deficit today to salvage a point in the standings with a 5-4 overtime loss to the Brampton Beast in front of 2,561 fans at the Powerade Centre in Brampton, Ontario.

David Pacan netted the winning goal during an odd-man rush 3:47 into extra time, giving Fort Wayne (5-2-1) a loss in the first game of a five-game road trip.

The Komets were coming off a 4-0 victory Friday at Memorial Coliseum over the Indy Fuel in which goaltender Eric Hartzell had a 31-save shutout.

Hartzell, playing a fourth straight game since Pat Nagle suffered a high ankle sprain, stopped 26 of 31 shots. Brampton’s Bryan Pitton stopped 21 of 25.

Shawn Szydlowski and Mason Baptista also scored for the Komets. Cheek had two assists, giving him five points in two games since returning from Tucson of the American Hockey League.

The Beast (3-1-3) had a 3-2 lead heading into the third period thanks to goals by two former Fort Wayne players – Chris Auger, scoring twice in his first game of the season, and Brandon Marino – who were teammates of Brampton coach Colin Chaulk when he played for the Komets.

After Brampton’s Brandon MacLean made it 4-2 at 4:51 of the third period, Thomas scored at 6:07 and Baptista at 17:31.

The Komets, who came into the day with the third-best penalty kill in the ECHL, stopped all three Brampton power plays and have now killed 32 of 35 power plays this season. 

Fort Wayne scored on 1 of 3 power plays -- Thomas netted a goal with the advantage in the second period -- and it is 8 of 27 this season.

Fort Wayne’s Garrett Thompson fought Yannick Veilleux in the second period, after Veilleux got a charging penalty.

The Komets play Wednesday at Tulsa, Oklahoma, then they play twice in Independence, Missouri, and Sunday in Wichita, Kansas.