Skip to main content

The Journal Gazette

Tuesday, November 28, 2017 10:30 pm

Moore leads Ants to 8th straight win

JUSTIN A. COHN | The Journal Gazette

The Mad Ants tied a franchise record by winning their eighth straight regular season game, defeating the Wisconsin Herd 127-122 on Tuesday night, led by rookie Ben Moore’s 28 points on 7-of-12 shooting in Milwaukee.

They previously won eight in a row in 2012-13 and 2014-15. However, if you include the undefeated run to the 2014 championship, the Mad Ants’ franchise record for longest win streak including the playoffs is 12.

The 11-year-old Mad Ants (8-1), who might get Trey McKinney Jones back from the shoulder injury suffered at NBA Summer League, will look to set their new regular-season record against Westchester at 7 p.m. Saturday at Memorial Coliseum, where they are 6-0.

The Herd, which came into the night as the only other G League team undefeated in home games, didn’t make tickets available to the public, so nearly no one was at the game at the Bradley Center, where the Herd was 1-2. On Friday, it will play its first game at its new arena, the Menominee Nation Arena, in Oshkosh.

A 10-0 run, culminating with a 3-pointer by Fair, put the Mad Ants up 33-21 with 51.8 seconds left in the first quarter. And that grew to 38-24 at the end of the quarter on a floating jump shot by Moore, who made the winning shot Sunday over Northern Arizona and made all 12 of his free-throw attempts Tuesday.

Teammates Walt Lemon Jr. and Jarrod Uthoff had 27 points apiece. Cliff Alexander led Wisconsin (6-3) with 35 points.

The Mad Ants seemed firmly in command at 48-30, after Moore’s 3-pointer with 9:07 left in the second quarter, and they still had an 80-65 third-quarter lead when Stephan Hicks’ dunk followed a botched Herd alley-oop.

But Wisconsin went on a 15-6 run in the third quarter to cut Fort Wayne’s lead to four, at 86-82, before Uthoff answered with a hook shot. After a pair of Moore free throws, a Uthoff layup gave the Mad Ants some breathing room at 92-82.

The Herd would get back within three points on an Alexander shot, but Hicks’ 3-pointer, seconds after he had missed one, put Fort Wayne up 107-101 with 6:04 left.