Skip to main content

The Journal Gazette

Friday, August 18, 2017 11:10 pm

Bishop Dwenger 27, Wayne 12

Saints' patience pays off with Week 1 win

AUBREE REICHEL | The Journal Gazette

In Week 1, patience is a virtue.

Bishop Dwenger football was reminded of that before its 27-12 win at Wayne on Friday and it didn't take long for the Saints (1-0) to have to apply the lesson.

"We started slow, that was a pretty boring first quarter," Bishop Dwenger wide receiver Tommy Steele said. "But at half, we said we had to overcome adversity and that's what we did. They scored on us, we were down a little bit but we came back.

"Our coach is always telling us that patience is a virtue. Things take time to develop and it did tonight and we came out with the win, luckily."

The Saints went into halftime up 10-0 after a 38-yard touchdown pass from Eddie Morris to Steele and a 35-yard field goal with 55 seconds left in the second quarter.

"I knew the safety was over a little bit and I knew Tommy was fast and could get there," Morris said of the long pass. "I just kind of threw it up to him and he caught it."

In the third, Wayne (0-1) came out with a 5-play scoring drive to make it 10-6 as Brandan Young made a short pass to Devonair Kelsaw from the Generals' 40-yard line and Kelsaw ran for over 50 yards after the pass for the score.

Bishop Dwenger extended its lead with a 22-yard field goal and increased it after TJ Tippmann recovered a fumble on the Saints' 41, ran a fake punt, and scored two plays later on a 1-yard pass from Morris.

"The third quarter was crucial and we had some nice plays that kept us going," Saints coach Chris Svarczkopf said. "We converted on a fake punt and that made the big difference there because we scored two plays after that.

"I thought offense, defense, special teams, I thought all of them played well."

Morris completed 7 of 17 passes for 178 yards and a score and ran 11 times for 40 yards and a touchdown. Twelve different players combined for 178 rushing yards.

"Offensive line and defense was huge," Morris said. "Our offensive line was pushing, our running backs were getting their holes, it was great."

The Generals struggled with penalties ultimately ending the game with 17 for 133 yards.

The Generals pushed through all four quarters, scoring their second touchdown as the clock expired.

"I can tell you one thing: Wayne is a ball team," Steele said. "They're going to come out and shock some teams this year. They played very hard. We overcame some adversity and I'm proud of our team.

"Their pass rushes were very, very good. They have some big boys up front and they bring it. They're hard to stop."

Brandan Young connected on 16 of 36 passes for 331 yards and two touchdowns and ran for 43 yards on 12 carries for the Generals. Kelsaw finished with four receptions for 103 yards while Aarick Adams caught three passes for 94 yards and a score.

"First game out of the box and Wayne is an awfully good football team," Svarczkopf said, "and they're going to win a lot of games, they're talented, explosive and if you would have told me that they were going to score (12) points on us, I would have been very happy and still am."