Friday, September 07, 2018 5:40 pm
Bluffton forfeits two wins
VICTORIA JACOBSEN | The Journal Gazette
Bluffton football, which opened the season 2-0 for the first time since 2013, has had its wins against Northfield and Manchester wiped off the official record.
Tigers athletic director Steve Thompson announced Friday afternoon that the team forfeited the first two games of the season after discovering that a player had been ineligible to play in those games due to an inadvertent violation of transfer rules. Thompson said that he and the athletic department reported the violation as soon as they learned of it this week. He also said the player has now been cleared by the Indiana High School Athletic Association and is eligible to play tonight as the Tigers play host to Woodlan (1-2).
"The BHS Athletic Department chose to report this violation because we live by the same code of choosing the difficult right over the easy wrong that we teach our student-athletes to uphold at all times," Thompson wrote in a release posted on the Bluffton athletics website.
Bluffton, which is now officially 0-3, lost at South Adams last week, 21-3.