Saturday, November 04, 2017 1:00 am
PEOPLE AND PLACES
• Ivy Tech Community College raised nearly $75,000 for student scholarships during its “Reason to Taste.”
• The Franciscan Center is in need of donations of turkeys to give to its clients on “Turkey Tuesday,” which is the Tuesday before Thanksgiving. The center is in need of 1,500 turkeys. Turkeys can be dropped off at 1015 E. Maple Grove Ave. from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday and 8 to 11 a.m. Saturday or at the Franciscan Center Family Thrift Store, 925 Coliseum Blvd. E. Donations of $14.40 to purchase a turkey will also be accepted.
• The YWCA Northeast Indiana Crisis Shelter needs donations of the following items: body soap or wash, deodorant, large size diapers or pullups, wash cloths, towels, pots and pans, ethnic hair products, laundry soap, silverware, twin size sheets and pillows and winter weather clothing. Items can be dropped off at 5920 Decatur Road from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.
• Elmhurst High School alumni, their families and school staff will be able to attend the former school and a “Meet and Greet.” Alumni who graduated in 1969 or earlier can attend from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Friday. Those who graduated 1970 or after can attend from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Nov. 11. The former school is located at 3829 Sand Point Road. A donation of $5 will be collected at the door.
• Waynedale American Legion Post 241, 7605 Bluffton Road, will have a free meal for veterans from noon to 6 p.m. Nov. 11, Veterans Day.
• Spencerville Community Club in Spencerville will have its free Community Thanksgiving at 5 p.m. Nov. 11.
• Fort Wayne resident Chrisy Link was awarded the 2017 Resident Advocate of the Year by the Millennia Companies for her work at the Villages of Hanna.
• Ernie Wiggins received the Big Brothers Big Sisters of Northeast Indiana's Charles D. Smith Award.
• YMCA of Greater Fort Wayne recognized the following companies with its Workplace Wellness Awards: Ash Brokerage, Ashley Industrial Molding, BAE Systems, Brooks Construction, City of Columbia City, Design Collaborative, Fleet Feet Sports Fort Wayne, Fort Wayne Community Schools, Fort Wayne Housing Authority, Fort Wayne Metals, Hylant, Micropulse, Parkview Health, Regal Beloit, Shindigz, Brightpoint, Complete Wellness Solutions, Galecki Financial Management, Sirva and Weigand Construction.