Saturday, March 10, 2018 1:00 am
PEOPLE AND PLACES
The Purdue Extension Allen County and the local Food Council will host the “2018 Northeast Indiana Local Food Forum: Our Lands. Our Tables” on Monday at the IPFW Walb Union Classic Ballroom, 2101 E. Coliseum Blvd. Presentations and activities will be from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., followed by an expo from 5 to 7:30 p.m. For more information or to register, go to www.neifood.org or call 481-6826.
• Gym Rats Basketball and its athletes raised more than $24,000 for Mad Anthony's Children Hope House. Through sponsorships, the Kids Helping Kids Basketball Tournament raised nearly $60,000.
• 100+ Women Who Care of Allen County donated $5,500 to the League for the Blind and Disabled to support the agency's White Cane Training program for seniors who are blind.
• Employees at the TCC store at 5956 Stellhorn Road donated supply packs filled with pencils, pens, dry erase markers, erasers, glue, paper and more to 10 teachers at Hamilton Elementary as part of its Teacher's Rock campaign.
• Junior Achievement of Northern Indiana received the 2016-17 Peak Performance Team Award from Junior Achievement USA.
• Rachel Curry and Amanda Holland, both of Fort Wayne, were selected as 2018 500 Festival Princesses. Each woman will receive a $1,000 scholarship and be involved with the 500 Festival's community outreach program, as well as participating in various Indianapolis Motor Speedway functions.
• Visiting Nurse, a non-profit hospice and palliative care provider in Fort Wayne, is seeking hospice volunteers to assist in a variety of roles. Volunteer interviews will be from 3 to 4 p.m. April 5, 12 and 19 at 5910 Homestead Road. For more information or to request an application, call Ann Blue, volunteer coordinator, at 435-3222 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Volunteers are needed for the Great American Cleanup on April 21. Deadline to register is March 30. For more information or to sign up, go to www.cityoffortwayne.org/greatamericancleanup or call 427-1345.