Saturday, September 23, 2017 1:00 am
People and places
• Bridge of Grace Compassionate Ministries Center, Mount Vernon Park Neighborhood Association and other groups will host an event today that celebrates the progress in the Mount Vernon Park neighborhood. The event, which includes a block party, will be from noon to 3 p.m. at Many Nations Church lawn, 5100 Gaywood Drive. Participants should bring lawn chairs and a salad or dessert to share.
• Pathfinder Community Integration and First Presbyterian Church in Huntington are preparing hurricane cleanup bucket kits to be sent to areas affected by recent hurricanes. Beginning Monday through Friday, donations will be accepted from 9 a.m. to noon at First Presbyterian Church, 50 E. Tipton St., Huntington. Donations will also be collected Oct. 1. New and unused items needed include, 5-gallon bucket, scouring pads, sponges, scrub brush, cleaning towels, laundry detergent, household cleaner like Lysol, dish soap, clothespins and clothesline, dust masks, latex gloves, work gloves, heavy-duty trash bags and insect repellent.
• Mike's Carwash collected $10,109 for Hurricane Harvey relief during a one-day fundraiser Sept. 9. In addition, $1 was donated to Matthew 25: Ministries for every Ultimate Wash sold to support its efforts in the disaster relief.
Trees Indiana will give away trees from 1:30 to 3:30 p.m. Sunday at Huntertown Family Park, 15103 Lima Road, Huntertown. The free trees are various species of 5 to 7 feet and contained in root bags.
• AARP Foundation Tax-Aide is seeking volunteers for the upcoming tax season. To volunteer or for more information, call 888-687-2277 or go to www.aarpfoundation.org/taxaide.
• Volunteers are needed to help work on the trails at Ouabache State Park on Sept. 30. Volunteers can meet at the lodge parking lot at 9:30 a.m.
The following organizations were announced as winners of the Ambassador Enterprise Seed Challenge: $100,000, Gateway Woods and Love Church Ministries to help with programming for aged-out foster children; $25,000, Junior Achievement of Northern Indiana, Love Justice International, Out of a Jam and Run Hard, Rest Well.