Skip to main content

The Journal Gazette

  • Cathie Rowand | The Journal Gazette Governor Eric Holcomb greets highway workers at the "Unveiling of Next Level Roads Plan" at US 30 and US 33 Monday.

Monday, July 17, 2017 1:30 pm

Mayor Henry joins governor to applaud Indiana roads plan

FRANK GRAY | The Journal Gazette

Gov. Eric Holcomb and other officials gathered Monday at a new U.S. 30 interchange, a development Fort Wayne Mayor Tom Henry applauded, to promote the state's five-year plan for improving roads and infrastructure.

Holcomb said the state plans to spend $4.7 billion in the next five years repaving 10,000 miles of road and renovating 1,300 bridges. The state has a 20-year plan, also, in which about $1 billion a year will be raised for improvements.

Holcomb, who unveiled details last week, said Monday the plan will allow Indiana to bring services and products to the rest of the country and enable the rest of the country to come to Indiana.

Mayor Henry said the the $2.8 million U.S. 30 interchange project is one of the first projects out of the chute, which says a lot for Fort Wayne.

"It's a tremendous addition to Fort Wayne infrastructure," he said.

In the next five years, about $83 million will be spent on roads and bridges in Allen County.

For more on this story, see Tuesday's print edition of The Journal Gazette, or return to www.journalgazette.net after 1 a.m.

fgray@jg.net