Skip to main content

The Journal Gazette

  • Davis

Saturday, May 12, 2018 1:00 am

Convicted molester receives 120 years

No sentences yet on 14 other charges in decade of abuse

MATTHEW LEBLANC | The Journal Gazette

An Allen County judge Friday ordered a Fort Wayne man convicted of abusing a girl for more than a decade to spend at least 120 years in prison.

Lawrence M. Davis, 47, also known as Lance Davis, was convicted by a jury in April of 16 felony charges and one misdemeanor related to the abuse.

Allen Superior Court Judge John Surbeck sentenced him to 40 years on each of three child molesting charges. The sentences will be served back-to-back. Surbeck said he needs more time to consider sentences for the 14 other charges and set a hearing for next week.

Court documents say Davis began abusing the girl when she was 5 and continued for 13 years. He engaged in sex acts with her, gave her cigarettes, drugs and alcohol and showed her pornography that included children and animals, the documents said.

He told the victim he loved her and later said he would kill her if she told anyone, a probable cause affidavit filed last year said.

At trial, prosecutors said Davis is a master manipulator who kept the victim under his control for most of her life.

In court Friday, the accuser reiterated the claim. A statement from her, which was read by a witness, said she has attempted suicide and was unable to form normal relationships with people.

“He is a monster,” the statement said. “He haunts my days and nights, my dreams. This is the truth, finally.”

The Journal Gazette does not publish the names of victims of sexual abuse without their permission.

Charges against Davis include molesting – intercourse or deviate sex with a victim younger than 14; sexual misconduct with a minor; child seduction as a guardian, adoptive parent adoptive grandparent or custodian; possession of child pornography; and dissemination of matter harmful to minors.

At trial, Davis denied abusing the accuser. His lawyer, John Bohdan, said Davis maintains his innocence and has discussed appealing the conviction.

Reading from a statement, Davis said Friday he did nothing inappropriate with his accuser and was instead a trusted confidant. He said the accuser has leveled similar claims against other men.

“(She) had a dark side,” Davis said.

Witnesses wrote letters supporting Davis, and a handful spoke Friday. Each said he is a dedicated family man who has worked hard.

“It hurts me, Judge Surbeck,” read a letter from Pamela Ly, Davis' mother. “That is why I am asking for mercy when you sentence my son.”

Surbeck seemed uninterested in mercy Friday but noted Davis “has done some good things” and has no “significant criminal history.”

“On the other hand, there are some very significant aggravating circumstances,” he said.

Trial testimony included statements the accuser was abused at a number of homes in Fort Wayne and at Come2Go Music Hall, or C2G Music Hall, where he was a contracted sound and light technician. Child pornography found on a computer at the music hall was found through a file-sharing app used by Davis, prosecutors said.

Davis shook his head from side-to-side when child pornography was mentioned Friday.

He offered no visible reaction when the judge or prosecutors mentioned abuse.

“I have no doubt these things happened,” Surbeck said. “I am convinced you are very guilty, sir.” 

mleblanc@jg.net