Skip to main content

The Journal Gazette

Monday, April 15, 2019 1:00 am

state

Inspector finds VA mismanged

Associated Press

INDIANAPOLIS – Indiana's inspector general has found mismanagement at the state's Department of Veterans' Affairs but insufficient evidence for criminal or ethics charges.

The agency's leader resigned in December after the Indianapolis Star and WRTV-TV questioned its administration of the Military Family Relief Fund, which is supported by fees from specialty veteran license plates.

The Indianapolis Star reported that Inspector General Lori Torres' investigative report said agency employees with military service records received agency grants intended for needy veterans and that grant recipients didn't use funds for the intended purpose. Torres also found that a former state senator didn't account for hours he was paid for under a secretive contract.

But her report found insufficient evidence to support charges against current or former employees, in part due to the agency's shoddy record-keeping.

New name for IU art school

Indiana University is renaming its art school for two philanthropists who recently made a $20 million gift.

The school at IU's Bloomington campus will be known as the Sidney and Lois Eskenazi School of Art, Architecture + Design in recognition of the Indianapolis couple's commitment to the university and the arts.

The Eskenazis' $20 million gift is the art school's largest. It will support student scholarships, academic programs, research and other priorities.

Youngest shooter suspect a Hoosier

A just-released FBI report said a 13-year-old boy who opened fire in a suburban Indianapolis classroom was the youngest suspect in 27 active shooter incidents in the U.S. last year.

The FBI's Active Shooter Incidents in the United States in 2018 Report released included the May 25 shooting at Noblesville West Middle School. Ella Whistler, 13, was shot in the face, neck and upper chest. Science teacher Jason Seaman ended the shooting when he tackled the youth. Seaman was shot three times in the attack.

The Associated Press isn't using the boy's name because he was charged as a juvenile.

Parents sued for dumping porn

A Muncie man is suing his parents for getting rid of his vast pornography collection, which he estimates is worth $29,000.

The 40-year-old man filed a lawsuit last week in federal court in Michigan, where he moved in with his parents in 2016 after a divorce. He says that when he moved out 10 months later, they delivered his things to his new home in Muncie, but that his 12 boxes of pornographic films and magazines were missing.

The lawsuit includes an email from the man's father, who told his son, “I did you a big favor by getting rid of all this stuff.”

The man is seeking triple financial damages of roughly $87,000.