Skip to main content

The Journal Gazette

  • Associated Press Indiana's Juwan Morgan shoots over Iowa's Ahmad Wagner during the second half Monday at Assembly Hall. Morgan finished with 15 points and 10 rebounds as IU won.

Tuesday, December 05, 2017 1:00 am

Indiana 77, Iowa 64

Hoosiers find toughness in 2nd half, surge to win

Pete DiPrimio | For The Journal Gazette

BLOOMINGTON – Archie Miller wanted more.

The Indiana coach got it, and how.

With Miller calling a timeout to push mind over matter, the Hoosiers delivered a game-clinching 18-0 second-half run to beat Iowa 77-64 Monday night.

It was a big response after IU (5-4, 1-1 Big Ten) nearly blew a 15-point halftime lead, and it gave Miller his first Big Ten win.

“A number of guys stepped up and made winning plays,” Miller said. “Other than the lack of responsibility coming out of halftime, we dug out of that and were able to finish the game off.

“To come right back and have a good burst was good to see.”

Hoosiers forward Juwan Morgan had his second double-double of the season with 15 points and 10 rebounds. Collin Hartman and De'Ron Davis each had 13 points. Devonte Green added 12 points and a team-leading four assists.

Iowa (4-5, 0-2) was led by guard Brady Ellingson's 16 points.

IU's 0-for-9 shooting and leaky defense to open the second half gave Iowa an opening, and the Hawkeyes took it far enough to cut 14 points into that halftime deficit.

But no further.

“It was mindset,” Hartman said. “You don't have physical time to change much, so you have to change your mentality. We had that little lull and changed mindset.”

Morgan said: “We bought into what we had to do. It was five guys playing for each other. We pulled out (defensive) stops and that got us going.”

IU and Iowa played to a virtual stalemate for the first 12 minutes. Then Green beat the shot clock for a 3-pointer and the Hoosiers caught offensive fire. Juwan Morgan scored. Collin Hartman had a steal that led to a basket. Robert Johnson hit a 3-pointer.

The Hawkeyes blinked.

IU's defense turned disruptive.

Iowa blinked again, then broke.

In a five-minute stretch, the Hawkeyes went 1 for 9 from the field with six turnovers. IU surged ahead by double digits.

Iowa was working for the last shot of the half. IU guard Josh Newkirk got a steal as the clock approached zero, rushed a layup, and missed. But Johnson was there to put back the miss just ahead of the buzzer for a 41-26 halftime lead.

The Hoosiers held Iowa to 29 percent shooting and forced 13 turnovers to position themselves for an easy victory.

They didn't get it.

Iowa opened the half on a 16-2 run in less than four minutes. The lead was down to one.

Unwanted drama had returned, and IU couldn't stop blinking.

Enter Morgan, who scored five straight Hoosiers points for a crucial boost.

Indiana pushed ahead by eight, then 10, then 14, then 17 on Hartman's third 3-pointer with 8:59 left.

Drama was over. Indiana got the victory and a split of its opening two Big Ten games.

Conference play resumes Jan. 2 at Wisconsin.

“It was weird,” Morgan said about playing conference games so early, “but also helpful in getting that type of physicality. It's a gut check to see where you're at.”

At halftime, Indiana celebrated the 25th anniversary of its 1992 Final Four team that featured Big Ten career scoring leader Calbert Cheaney and school career rebound leader Alan Henderson.

The Hoosiers finished 27-7 that season and lost to Duke in the national semifinals.

Five players on that team averaged in double figures, led by Cheaney's 17.6 average.