Friday, December 01, 2017 1:00 am
Purdue at Maryland
Records: Purdue (6-2, 0-0 Big Ten); Maryland (6-2, 0-0)
When: 7 p.m. today
Where: Xfinity Center, College Park, Md.
TV: Big Ten Network
The skinny: The Boilermakers begin defense of their Big Ten championship with the earliest Big Ten Conference game in school history. ... Purdue won last year's only meeting Feb. 4 in College Park, 73-72 on a pair of Carsen Edwards free throws with 2.1 seconds left. The second win during a six-game winning streak propelled the Boilermakers to a 2017 conference title. ... Maryland will return to Mackey Arena on Jan. 31 to complete the home-and-home.
• Purdue defeated 17th-ranked Louisville 66-57 in the Big Ten/ACC Challenge, improving the Boilers to 10-7 all time in the event.
• Purdue won its second straight game against a ranked team after routing No. 2 Arizona 89-64 in the Battle 4 Atlantis on Nov. 24.
• The Boilermakers started 1 of 16 from 3-point range against Louisville but made four of their last seven shots from deep to rally for the victory.
• Purdue shot 33.3 percent from the field, its lowest field goal percentage in a win since shooting 31.9 percent against Penn State on Jan. 18, 2014.
• Vince Edwards battled foul issues to score 15 points with seven rebounds. Dakota Mathias scored 11 of his 13 points in the second half, going 3 of 5 from deep in the final 20 minutes.
296: Purdue coach Matt Painter needs four wins for 300 during his career.
10.6: Wins per year in Big Ten Conference play for Matt Painter; fifth-best in Big Ten history.
25: Blocks by Matt Haarms, the most by a freshman in the country (only two players have 25+).
10-7: Purdue's record in the Big Ten/ACC Challenge, the best record among any conference school.
– Journal Gazette