Skip to main content

The Journal Gazette

Thursday, December 28, 2017 9:20 pm

Wayne gets aggressive, beats Bishop Dwenger

AUBREE REICHLEL | The Journal Gazette



South Side 67, Snider 64

North Side 75, Concordia 40

Wayne 53, Bishop Dwenger 37


South Side 71, Bishop Dwenger 52

Bishop Luers 47, Homestead 43

Northrop 54, Snider 48


It took the entire first half but the Wayne boys basketball team finally found its footing and won 53-37 over Bishop Dwenger at the Parkview Sports Medicine SAC Holiday Tournament at Wayne on Thursday.

The Generals led 15-13 at halftime but came out of the locker room with a 13-0 run to take a 28-13 lead, helped by three straight 3-pointers by Dillon Redding.

"We kind of figured that (Bishop Dwenger) would throw some kind of zone at us since we're more athletic than they are," Wayne coach Aaron Rehrer said. "We didn't do a good enough job in the first half using our dribble to attack and then looking to find shooters and the shots weren't falling.

"With Dillon, he scores in bunches. He missed his first two at Marion on Friday then hit seven in a row. We were just trying to get him to be patient. Going into the locker room 15-13, everyone's like, 'What do we do?' We did a lot better job being aggressive and rebounding which I think turned things around for us."

Wayne was kept from its typical up-and-down game which slowed its offense in the first half. The Saints were packing the middle and forcing shots from the outside and while the opportunities were there, the shots weren't falling.

"They were mixing up the zones," Redding said. "They were going with a 1-3-1, 3-2 and a 2-3 which was making us think more and mixing it up more.

"We have a lot of shooters on our team so the coaches just tell us to keep shooting and they'll eventually fall so that's what we did. In the second half, they eventually fell."

The Saints jumped to a 6-0 lead with two 3-pointers from Brenden Lytle and maintained a 6-4 lead at the end of the first quarter. Wayne started getting more shots up in the second quarter and led 15-10 with 1:15 left in the first half. A 3 from Hayden Smithey with 15 seconds left made it 15-13 at halftime.

At halftime, Rehrer told his team to keep pushing the pace and be more aggressive. The adjustments paid off.

"(I told them to) Just to stick with it," he said. "We had some heads down and we were up two. I was like, 'You guys are winning the game,' we just had to stick with it and make some adjustments: just being more aggressive with our dribble and defending and rebounding.

"Every coach will tell you that the first three minutes of the second half is huge and for us to come out, hit some shots, get some stops, got some turnovers, that set the tone for the rest of the game."

Craig Young led the Generals with 14 points and Redding added 11. The Saints were led by Lytle's eight points.

"Everyone kind of clicked in on our team," Young said. "I'm just ready for (the semifinals tonight).

"We weren't getting a lot of rotation (in the first half). We were pushing the ball too slow, they were getting into their zone so we just started attacking, attacking, attacking, push and kick and we knocked down big shots."

The Generals will face South Side in today's semifinal, a team that plays in a similar style.

"We've played Snider and we've played New Haven and Marion," Rehrer said. "It's not going to be any different from that, just different personnel. I think these guys are smart enough to adjust to any style."