Secure at school
Nationwide, schools reported 5,700 incidents of firearm or explosive device possession in the 2015-16 year. This map shows which Indiana schools were affected and how many incidents they experienced.
The information is from the 2015-16 Civil Rights Data Collection released by the U.S. Department of Education's Office for Civil Rights. Data was self-reported by 17,300 public school districts and 96,400 public schools and educational programs.
The government defines firearms and explosive devices as "any weapon that is designed to (or may readily be converted to) expel a projectile by the action of an explosive. This includes guns, bombs, grenades, mines, rockets, missiles, pipe bombs, or similar devices designed to explode and capable of causing bodily harm or property damage."
Shootings near schools
Clicking a map point shows which schools were within 1/2 a mile, which were within 1/4 a mile, whether it happened while FWCS was in session and whether it happened between 7 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.
Fort Wayne police verified whether each incident was a confirmed shooting and provided supplemental information about the incidents when necessary.
Special education in Allen County
Special education students account for nearly 15 percent of students statewide, totalling 167,478 students in the 2017-18 school year, according to the Indiana Department of Education. Here's a snapshot of the special education population in Allen County's middle and high schools. This diverse population includes students who earn a diploma and students who receive a certificate of completion.
Electric Works' development team is honoring local history in the name of Fort Wayne's first food hall and public market, officials...
May 13, 2021 3:20 pm
Ternet Road between Maples and Tillman roads will be closed for four months, beginning at 7 a.m. Monday, during bridge replacement, the...
May 13, 2021 3:52 pm
- Free Noble County offering vaccine to students
- Free Verbatim: Hoosiers 12+ Should “Take the Winning Shot” at Health Department Vaccine Clinic
- Construction to close Stellhorn Road bridge
- US unemployment claims drop to 473,000, a new pandemic low
- LaVine, Markkanen lead Bulls past Raptors, 114-102
- TinCaps lose 4th straight game
- Heat stay No. 5 in the East, roll past 76ers 106-94
- Rymsha makes NHL debut
- Antetokounmpo, Bucks roll past short-handed Pacers, 142-133
- Spieth shoots 63, shares lead at low-scoring hometown Nelson
- Michael Curry promoted to Double-A
- Twins, Phillies, Brewers set plans for 100% fan capacity
- Jerome Hunter leaving IU basketball
- Angola boys ranked 6th in state track and field rankings
- Homestead, Carroll lead area teams in tennis rankings
- White Sox beat Twins 4-2, stretch winning streak to 6
- Flaherty's 7th wins lifts Cards as Burnes walks 1st batter
- Bishop Dwenger, Norwell tied for 10th in state softball poll
- Komets' Petruzzelli could play this weekend
- Allen County building permits from May 1 to May 8