Skip to main content

The Journal Gazette

  • McKinney

Monday, October 07, 2019 2:18 pm

Judge rules kidnapping and rape suspect incompetent

MATTHEW LEBLANC | The Journal Gazette

A Fort Wayne man charged with kidnapping a woman at knifepoint in March and raping a woman in 2017 is incompetent to stand trial, a judge has ruled. 

Ronnie McKinney, 58, "lacks the ability to assist counsel in his defense," Allen Superior Court Judge David Zent wrote in an order filed last week. 

That comes after a lawyer for McKinney questioned his client's "cognitive ability to understand the process and to assist with his defense" in court documents filed in May. Doctors later examined McKinney. 

He was charged April 4 with kidnapping, criminal confinement while armed with a deadly weapon, battery with a deadly weapon and misdemeanor interference with the reporting of a crime after police say he abducted a woman March 30 from a gas station. He had a knife, police said, and took the woman – who earlier that night had served him at the store – to an apartment where her legs were tied. 

She escaped, and officers found her running down the middle of Goshen Road. The woman told investigators McKinney was going to rape her, a probable cause affidavit alleges. 

Prosecutors charged McKinney two weeks later in a separate case, alleging he raped a woman in 2017. In that case, police said he raped a woman and beat her after following her on a walk. Doctors found bleeding inside her skull and a fracture to her right eye socket, according to court documents. 

McKinney was found incompetent to stand trial in either case. 

Defendants found incompetent to stand trial typically are sent to a state hospital for treatment, and their cases are put on hold until they are deemed competent. 

mleblanc@jg.net