A 38-year-old man has been identified as the victim of a fire at a Plaza Drive residence Tuesday, the Allen County coroner's office said today.
Bernard Dunbar died accidentally from smoke inhalation and thermal burns in the fire, the coroner's office said in a statement.
Faced with fire throughout the house, firefighters forced their way through the front door at 4146 Plaza Drive about 3 p.m. and encountered a wall of fire, the Fort Wayne Fire Department has said.
They found a man unconscious as the flames were pushed back, the department said, and they pulled him to safety.
It took firefighters about 40 minutes to bring the blaze under control, the department said, and the house sustained heavy fire, water and smoke damage.
The incident remains under investigation by city firefighters, the county prosecutor's office and the coroner's office.