The Journal Gazette
 
 
Wednesday, February 12, 2020 2:14 pm

Shooting suspect seeks bond reduction

MATTHEW LEBLANC | The Journal Gazette

A judge could decide Friday whether to lower the bond amount for a man accused of shooting into a house in December, injuring someone inside. 

Henry Underwood, 26, is charged with criminal recklessness and being a felon carrying a handgun with a prior felony conviction – both Level 5 felonies punishable by up to six years in prison if he is convicted. Police say he fired at least one shot Dec. 30 into a home in the 3900 block of South Monroe Street. 

A man inside the residence suffered a small cut, investigators said. 

Underwood had been charged in an unrelated case with murder in the 2017 shooting death of a man at East Central Towers, but jurors acquitted him of the crime in October. 

He is being held at the Allen County Jail in lieu of $100,000 bond, and defense attorney Robert Gevers asks in court documents filed last week for a reduced amount. 

Underwood has "family ties to the community," "would submit to any reporting and supervision conditions" set by the court and "would present an extremely low risk to the community," a two-page motion for bond reduction says. 

The document does not specify a bond amount. 

A court hearing is scheduled Friday. 

mleblanc@jg.net


Sign up for our crime and courts newsletter

Sent daily when events warrant

Share this article