Drivers can expect rolling slowdowns and ramp closures on Interstate 69 and Interstate 469 throughout the day Sunday, weather permitting, the Indiana Department of Transportation said tonight.
The slowdowns are needed to allow American Electric Power contractors to install new fiber optic cable over the interstate between St. Joe and Stellhorn roads, the transportation department said in a statement.
The slowdowns will be on
* Interstate 69 south from mile markers 318 to 312;
* Interstate 69 north from mile markers 312 to 318; and
* Interstate 469, in both directions, from mile marker 20 to the Interstate 69 north junction.
The slowdowns are to take drivers to 10 mph or less, and will create traffic voids to allow for safe installation of the cables, the statement said.
It said ramps to be closed during the rolling roadblocks include:
* Both ramps from Dupont Road to Interstate 69 south;
* Both ramps from Maplecrest Road to Interstate 469 west;
* The ramp from Indiana 37 to Interstate 469 south; and
* The ramp from U.S. 24 to Interstate 469 north.
Drivers may wish to seek an alternate route, the transportation department said. A rain date is June 5.