The Journal Gazette
Thursday, July 12, 2018 1:00 am

Man admits role in death of coach

Murder charge dropped in shooting

MATTHEW LEBLANC | The Journal Gazette

A Fort Wayne man charged in the shooting death last year of a popular North Side High School assistant football coach pleaded guilty to lesser charges.

Jaevin E. Bowie, 21, pleaded guilty Tuesday in Allen Superior Court to felony counts of assisting a criminal and attempted theft. He had been charged with murder in the death of Terrance Miles, 36.

A sentencing hearing is scheduled for Sept. 18, according court documents.

Miles was killed May 19, 2017, on Francis Street, near Washington Boulevard. Bowie told police a man called “Heezy” shot Miles, according to a probable cause affidavit.

Police initially named Henry E. Underwood a suspect, but he has not been charged in the case. A statement from police last year said surveillance photos showed Underwood and Bowie.

The affidavit says Bowie was with “Heezy” the night Miles was killed. The two were rooting through a car to steal items near the East Central Towers apartment complex around midnight when Miles exited the building, talking on a cellphone, court documents say.

Bowie told investigators Miles looked at him as he was walking toward a trash container. Then, according to the affidavit, “Heezy” walked up to Miles and shot him.

“He could hear Terrance Miles say man I don't have any money and saw his friend shoot Terrance,” police wrote in court documents, referring to Bowie.

Miles was an administrative assistant at Forest Park Elementary School and an assistant football coach at North Side. Police found him with gunshot wounds in a grassy area near the apartment building after receiving a phone call about shots fired.

Underwood was arrested after a traffic stop May 31 and was later charged with being a felon in possession of a handgun and false informing. Bowie was arrested a day later and was charged with assisting a criminal who committed murder.

The initial charges against Bowie were dropped so the investigation could be completed, prosecutors said at the time. He was charged with murder in January, and he was arrested by U.S. Marshals in February in Biloxi, Mississippi.

Bowie could face up to 81/2 years in prison if he's sentenced to the maximum terms on the charges to which he pleaded.

Sign up for our crime and courts newsletter

Sent daily when events warrant