The Journal Gazette
 
 
Saturday, February 15, 2020 1:00 am

$100,000 bond upheld by judge

Effort to lower it fails; defendant facing 2 felonies

MATTHEW LEBLANC | The Journal Gazette

A judge on Friday left in place the $100,000 bond for a man accused of shooting into a house. 

Henry Underwood, 26, sought a lower amount, arguing in court documents he is not a risk to the community and “would submit to any reporting and supervision conditions.” He is charged with criminal recklessness and being a felon carrying a handgun with a prior felony conviction – both Level 5 felonies punishable by up to six years in prison. 

Police say he fired shots Dec. 30 into a home in the 3900 block of South Monroe Street. The attack left a man inside with a small cut, investigators said. 

Underwood had been charged with murder in an unrelated case in which a man was shot and killed in 2017 at an apartment complex east of downtown. Jurors acquitted him of that crime in October. 

Prosecutors last month sought a high bond amount, telling a judge Underwood is a flight risk and has failed to appear for at least two other court hearings. 

Allen Superior Court Judge Fran Gull rejected the request for a lower bond amount in a hearing Friday morning. The high bond is necessary to ensure Underwood shows up for future hearings, she said. 

Shackled and handcuffed, Underwood told his mother he loves her as he was led from the courtroom. 

A two-day trial is scheduled for June 24. 

mleblanc@jg.net


Sign up for our crime and courts newsletter

Sent daily when events warrant

Share this article