The Journal Gazette
 
 
Saturday, November 30, 2019 1:00 am

Officers cleared in slaying black teen

Judge dismisses suit filed in Indianapolis

Associated Press

INDIANAPOLIS – A federal judge has ruled in favor of Indianapolis police in a lawsuit that accused officers of excessive force in a black teenager's fatal shooting following a suspected armed carjacking.

Andre Green's family sued the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department in August 2017, claiming that three officers used excessive force and violated the 15-year-old's constitutional rights when they shot and killed him in August 2015.

Several officers had been following a stolen Nissan Altima driven by Green after learning about a reported carjacking where a suspect had fired four shots at a group of people.

Police said the officers shot Green after he drove the Altima into one patrol car, backed into another and then began accelerating into the first patrol car a second time along a dead-end street that police had blocked.

Green's family said the teen slowly drove the stolen car into one of the patrol cars, striking it once before three officers opened fire on the moving vehicle.

The officer fired 20 shots and said later that they feared Green would ram one of the officers. Police said a handgun was found at the scene.

The city's attorneys asked the court to grant summary judgment, arguing that the officers were shielded under a legal doctrine known as qualified immunity that typically protects police officers acting in their official capacities from such lawsuits.

U.S. District Court Judge Patrick Hanlon ruled in favor of the city and the officers on Nov. 13, ending the lawsuit prior to trial, the Indianapolis Star reported.


Sign up for our daily headlines newsletter

Top headlines are sent daily

Share this article