The Journal Gazette
Thursday, November 21, 2019 1:00 am

Man shot during break-in charged

Gunfire exchanged in March incident

JAMIE DUFFY | The Journal Gazette

A home invasion turned violent for an intruder after the apartment dweller took aim in the dark and shot him. 

Police quickly caught up with Edwin D. Calligan, 23, of the 500 block of Leith Street, after he was driven by his companions to Lutheran ER Statewood. 

Due to the serious nature of his wound – a gunshot to the right upper thigh that exited his posterior – Calligan was transported to a regular hospital, court records said. 

Calligan was charged Monday with burglary with a deadly weapon, carrying a handgun without a license, residential break-in and criminal recklessness committed with a deadly weapon. 

Calligan entered the apartment at Black Hawk Apartments on the city's northeast side about 4 p.m. March 31 after breaking down the front door, court documents said.

The man who shot him was with his girlfriend when they they heard glass break and realized it was the front door. 

The man grabbed his Tactical AR-15 pistol after hearing what he thought were multiple people entering his apartment and took a position on one knee, pointing his firearm toward his bedroom doorway, documents said. 

Calligan appeared wearing all black and a mask and came into the doorway pointing a semi-automatic handgun. 

The intended victim thought Calligan was carrying a Smith & Wesson semi-automatic 9 mm gun with a silver slide and black body but wasn't sure because the lights were out in the apartment, court records said. 

The resident wasn't sure Calligan shot at him as he came into the bedroom, but shot at Calligan. He then followed Calligan into the living room where they exchanged gunfire. Calligan ducked into the kitchen for cover then stood up and fired a few rounds as the resident fired back. The resident went back into the bedroom for cover and Calligan ran out of the front door bleeding, court records said. 

When police arrived, they found a trail of blood from the kitchen outside into the parking lot where Calligan's black Chevrolet Equinox had been parked and identified by a bystander who earlier saw the SUV circling the parking lot with a group of men.

In the apartment, numerous shell casings from a 9 mm and a .223/556 gun were found making it look as though there had been a gun battle, police said.

Bullet holes were found in two walls and the ceiling and a 9 mm loaded magazine was lying on the floor in the kitchen. The resident told police he'd fired between 14 and 17 rounds out of the 40 rounds in his gun, documents said. 

About the time police arrived, dispatch alerted officers that medics had seen the black Equinox travelling east on East State Boulevard, running red lights. A witness noticed that one of the passengers appeared to be injured and tried to follow the car. 

A few minutes later, police were called by staff at Lutheran ER Statewood and officers saw the black Equinox in the parking lot. 

Calligan refused to talk to police and was transported to a hospital. 

The resident was able to identify Calligan and another man in a photo array. 

Calligan was being held at Allen County Jail without bail.

Share this article

Email story

Subscribe to our newsletters

* indicates required