PHILADELPHIA – Seven people were killed and 12 others were wounded by gunfire in less than 48 hours in Philadelphia over the weekend, including a 15-year-old boy shot dead on Saturday and an 18-month-old boy who suffered a graze wound to the head on Sunday.
The violence spanned neighborhoods across the city and was particularly acute Sunday, when 10 people were killed or injured in less than 10 hours, according to Philadelphia Police.
The outburst pushed the city's homicide total to 14 victims in 12 days in 2020, police statistics show, the most killings this early in the year in five years.
Suspect accused of stabbing 8
Eight people were injured by a male suspect in an apparent random stabbing rampage near downtown Colorado Springs, police said Monday.
The suspect was restrained by some of his victims and arrested before dawn by officers, police said in a statement.
Some of the victims were attacked on streets and some were found injured in the city's America the Beautiful Park over the course of about a half hour, police said.
Police said the victims were taken to hospitals, and three were still hospitalized as of Monday afternoon.
Saudis sent home over internet use
The U.S. sent home 21 Saudi military students after an investigation into a deadly shooting last month by one of their fellow trainees at the Pensacola Naval Air Station, an attack that Attorney General William Barr said was an act of terrorism driven by some of the same motivations of the Sept. 11 plot.
The trainees who were removed had jihadist or anti-American sentiments on social media pages or had “contact with child pornography,” including in internet chat rooms, officials said. None is accused of having had advance knowledge of the shooting or helped the 21-year-old gunman carry it out.
Suicide command conviction stands
The U.S. Supreme Court on Monday left in place the conviction of a Massachusetts woman who sent her boyfriend text messages urging him to kill himself.
Michelle Carter is serving a 15-month sentence after being convicted of involuntary manslaughter in the 2014 death of her boyfriend, Conrad Roy III. A judge determined that Carter, who was 17, caused the death of the 18-year-old Roy when she ordered him in a phone call to get back in his carbon monoxide-filled truck that he'd parked in a Kmart parking lot.
Carter's lawyers argued in their Supreme Court appeal that the conviction should be thrown out because it was an “unprecedented” violation of her free speech rights.
Carter is serving her sentence at the Bristol County House of Correction in Dartmouth, Massachusetts. She may be released in March.