The election of 1860 may have been the most critical election in the history of the United States, but the election of 2020 is the most critical election in our lifetimes.
I read the paper, and I must share another side of reasoning.
• Joe Biden has total disdain for the truth.
He has lied about his stance on fracking. On March 15, 2019, he said he wanted “no more subsidies for (the) fossil fuel industry. No more drilling on federal lands. No more drilling, including offshore. No ability for the oil industry to continue to drill, period.” On Sept. 6, 2019, Biden said, “I guarantee you we're going to end fossil fuel.”
In April 2019, vice presidential candidate Kamala Harris said, “There's no question I'm in favor of banning fracking.” But during the vice presidential debate, Harris said she and Biden are very clear; they will not ban fracking.
He said he graduated in the top half of his law class at the University of Syracuse law school. In truth, he graduated at the bottom half of his law class (76th out of 85). He stated that he was the only one in his class to receive a full academic scholarship. Not true. He said he graduated with three degrees; nope, he graduated with one. He said he was named outstanding political science student; he was not.
He has plagiarized several notables, including Hubert Humphrey, Robert F. Kennedy and British politician Neal Kinnock.
He said he attended a historically black college or university. “I got started out of an HBCU, Delaware State,” Biden said, a claim denied by a representative of the school.
• Biden and his family are corrupt.
Author Peter Schweizer, in his book, “Profiles in Corruption,” states that Biden is the most corrupt vice president ever.
He speaks of “the Biden five,” comprising son Hunter, younger brothers James and Frank, sister Valerie and daughter Ashley. Through a complicated tangle of taxpayer-funded loans and grants, business dealings and consulting fees, these five family members received millions of dollars, cashing in during the Obama administration.
• Biden and his vice presidential candidate, Harris, refuse to state whether they will pack the Supreme Court.
In 1983, Biden said that President Franklin Roosevelt's attempt to pack the court was “a bone-head (sic) idea” and a “terrible, terrible mistake to make.” Even the late Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg was opposed to packing the court. Now, Biden has said voters don't deserve to know what he will do. During the primaries, Harris said, “I am open to increasing the number of people on the Supreme Court.”
• Biden foments violence.
As antifa riots, burns and destroys our cities, and bullies citizens, Biden stated that antifa is just “an idea.” (No, that's the tooth fairy.) He has not denounced the riots, looting and destruction in our major cities. In fact, staffers for Biden and Harris bailed out an alleged child abuser through the Minnesota Freedom Fund.
• Biden wants to remove all borders and have U.S. taxpayers pay for health care for all illegals. What could go wrong?
• Biden wants to enact the Green New Deal, which would essentially ban the internal combustion engine, impede air travel and basically eradicate natural gas for more expensive renewables.
• Biden called our troops “stupid bastards.” Donald Trump's alleged comments about “suckers” and “losers” have been discounted, even by Trump hater John Bolton, who was with Trump when he was supposed to say this.
• Biden is “mentally deteriorating,” says Democratic strategist Justin Horwitz. His “gaffes clearly indicate that he is not all there anymore.” Democrats are aware that a socialist cannot win the presidency, but a “moderate” could, then step down and let radicals run the country.
These extremists are not your parents' Democratic party. No, these new Dems are militant Marxists who want to destroy America and its Constitution.
Our country is at a crossroads. Will we choose to live in “the greatest hope of earth” (Abraham Lincoln) or a reincarnation of Venezuela?
Donna Volmerding is a Fort Wayne resident.