Secure at school
Nationwide, schools reported 5,700 incidents of firearm or explosive device possession in the 2015-16 year. This map shows which Indiana schools were affected and how many incidents they experienced.
The information is from the 2015-16 Civil Rights Data Collection released by the U.S. Department of Education's Office for Civil Rights. Data was self-reported by 17,300 public school districts and 96,400 public schools and educational programs.
The government defines firearms and explosive devices as "any weapon that is designed to (or may readily be converted to) expel a projectile by the action of an explosive. This includes guns, bombs, grenades, mines, rockets, missiles, pipe bombs, or similar devices designed to explode and capable of causing bodily harm or property damage."
Shootings near schools
Clicking a map point shows which schools were within 1/2 a mile, which were within 1/4 a mile, whether it happened while FWCS was in session and whether it happened between 7 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.
Fort Wayne police verified whether each incident was a confirmed shooting and provided supplemental information about the incidents when necessary.
Nearly 160 workers from Teamsters Local 414 went on strike this morning at Fort Wayne United Natural Foods Inc.
December 12, 2019 12:50 pm
The U.S. Senate on Wednesday unanimously approved bipartisan legislation pushed by Rep. Jim Banks, R-3rd, that aims to reduce...
December 12, 2019 1:00 am
FOWLER, Ind. -- Two northwest Indiana men have been charged with murder and arson in the death of a third man in a house fire, Indiana...
December 12, 2019 1:10 pm
Police are investigating after recording devices were found in guest rooms at the Hyatt Regency hotel in downtown Minneapolis.
December 12, 2019 12:00 pm
- UK voters decide who they want to resolve Brexit impasse
- Wholesale prices unchanged in November as energy prices cool
- 10 ex-NFL players charged with defrauding healthcare program
- 2 Fowler men charged with killing 3rd in arson
- Mom believes 20-year-old son died because of milk allergy
- Man accused in Jewish center threat wants evidence tossed
- US stocks rise in early trading on trade deal hopes
- US long-term mortgage rates rise; 30-year loan at 3.73%
- Judiciary panel debates Trump impeachment, moves toward vote
- New Zealand planning retrieval of bodies on volcanic island
- Authorities tie killers in New Jersey attack to fringe group
- Detroit tops list of hard-to-count cities ahead of census
- Outdated, dangerous childbirth practices persist in Europe
- Sold to China as a bride, she came home on brink of death
- Pelosi drug bill up for House vote reflects a Trump idea
- Reese Witherspoon honored at Women in Entertainment gala
- Silver Alert issued for missing Columbus man
- Oct. 26, 1965: Rescue Mission on Superior nears completion
- Bears' offense gets into rhythm ahead of trip to Lambeau
- Pacers rally for rare win over Celtics