Secure at school
Nationwide, schools reported 5,700 incidents of firearm or explosive device possession in the 2015-16 year. This map shows which Indiana schools were affected and how many incidents they experienced.
The information is from the 2015-16 Civil Rights Data Collection released by the U.S. Department of Education's Office for Civil Rights. Data was self-reported by 17,300 public school districts and 96,400 public schools and educational programs.
The government defines firearms and explosive devices as "any weapon that is designed to (or may readily be converted to) expel a projectile by the action of an explosive. This includes guns, bombs, grenades, mines, rockets, missiles, pipe bombs, or similar devices designed to explode and capable of causing bodily harm or property damage."
Shootings near schools
Clicking a map point shows which schools were within 1/2 a mile, which were within 1/4 a mile, whether it happened while FWCS was in session and whether it happened between 7 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.
Fort Wayne police verified whether each incident was a confirmed shooting and provided supplemental information about the incidents when necessary.
Special education in Allen County
Special education students account for nearly 15 percent of students statewide, totalling 167,478 students in the 2017-18 school year, according to the Indiana Department of Education. Here's a snapshot of the special education population in Allen County's middle and high schools. This diverse population includes students who earn a diploma and students who receive a certificate of completion.
- Flawed case invalidates voting-rights argument
- Williams opts for return to Boilermakers
- Canadiens in Stanley Cup Final
- Getting to work on the Wells Street Bridge
- Planned casino loses its license
- Pacers reunite with former coach Carlisle
- Ex-Philippine leader Benigno Aquino dies
- 2nd untraditional Greek Fest underway
- Rowers learn basics at camp
- FWFC faces 'huge name' international friendly
- Ohio limits on protests clears panel
- Determined teams to face off for Kelly Cup
- Suspected bank robber in custody
- Komets have proved rink doesn't matter
- Veteran excited to have title shot
- US to keep 650 troops in Afghanistan
- Giuliani law license gets suspended
- Revenge of the herds: Cows escape in crash
- What to know as Chauvin sentenced