Secure at school
Nationwide, schools reported 5,700 incidents of firearm or explosive device possession in the 2015-16 year. This map shows which Indiana schools were affected and how many incidents they experienced.
The information is from the 2015-16 Civil Rights Data Collection released by the U.S. Department of Education's Office for Civil Rights. Data was self-reported by 17,300 public school districts and 96,400 public schools and educational programs.
The government defines firearms and explosive devices as "any weapon that is designed to (or may readily be converted to) expel a projectile by the action of an explosive. This includes guns, bombs, grenades, mines, rockets, missiles, pipe bombs, or similar devices designed to explode and capable of causing bodily harm or property damage."
Shootings near schools
Clicking a map point shows which schools were within 1/2 a mile, which were within 1/4 a mile, whether it happened while FWCS was in session and whether it happened between 7 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.
Fort Wayne police verified whether each incident was a confirmed shooting and provided supplemental information about the incidents when necessary.
Notre Dame wide receiver Chase Claypool earned team MVP honors to close out the 2019 ECHOES awards show Friday night in South Bend.
December 14, 2019 12:10 am
A man attempting to cut down a tree died Friday afternoon when the tree fell in an unexpected direction and pinned him underneath, the...
December 13, 2019 5:35 pm
- Verbatim: Leaf crews head north Saturday
- Verbatim: I&M to conduct aerial inspections next week
- Fort Wayne man faces gun, drug charges after traffic stop
- Early barrage leads to Komets' 4-2 loss
- Indiana escapes despite mistakes, Jackson-Davis dominates
- Indiana Tech hockey loses to Ohio
- Hornets use balanced scoring to beat Bulls 83-73
- Antetokounmpo has 37 in Memphis, Bucks run win streak to 17
- Columbia City girls edge Norwell
- Brogdon, Sabonis spark Pacers' win over Hawks
- Indiana holds off Nebraska in overtime
- Mad Ants could miss 3 players Saturday
- Lakers snap Heat's home winning streak, top Miami 113-110
- Woods sits as International expands Presidents Cup lead
- Bishop Luers girls rally past Northrop
- Photos of the Week
- Saint Francis men notch OT road win
- Friday Gallery: Bishop Luers vs. Northrop girls basketball
- Mad Ants dominate in victory
- Friday Gallery: Mad Ants vs. Bayhawks