Secure at school
Nationwide, schools reported 5,700 incidents of firearm or explosive device possession in the 2015-16 year. This map shows which Indiana schools were affected and how many incidents they experienced.
The information is from the 2015-16 Civil Rights Data Collection released by the U.S. Department of Education's Office for Civil Rights. Data was self-reported by 17,300 public school districts and 96,400 public schools and educational programs.
The government defines firearms and explosive devices as "any weapon that is designed to (or may readily be converted to) expel a projectile by the action of an explosive. This includes guns, bombs, grenades, mines, rockets, missiles, pipe bombs, or similar devices designed to explode and capable of causing bodily harm or property damage."
Shootings near schools
Clicking a map point shows which schools were within 1/2 a mile, which were within 1/4 a mile, whether it happened while FWCS was in session and whether it happened between 7 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.
Fort Wayne police verified whether each incident was a confirmed shooting and provided supplemental information about the incidents when necessary.
Special education in Allen County
Special education students account for nearly 15 percent of students statewide, totalling 167,478 students in the 2017-18 school year, according to the Indiana Department of Education. Here's a snapshot of the special education population in Allen County's middle and high schools. This diverse population includes students who earn a diploma and students who receive a certificate of completion.
HARRISBURG, Pa. -- The Roman Catholic Diocese of Harrisburg filed for bankruptcy Wednesday, six months after disclosing it had paid...
February 19, 2020 2:00 pm
LORDSTOWN, Ohio -- General Motors Co. will receive a tax break to build a new electric battery cell factory in Ohio next to the site of a...
February 19, 2020 2:00 pm
- Court: Parents must show discipline is reasonable
- Tech companies lead US stocks higher as virus fears subside
- Hinchcliffe gets Indy 500 ride with Andretti
- Police: 4 found dead in tent at homeless camp
- Conservative group seeks end to death penalty in Ohio
- Firefighters find dismembered body burning near train tracks
- Ex-Gov. Blagojevich returns to Chicago, maintains innocence
- South Anthony Blvd. lane restrictions
- Uneasy feelings followed crash
- Source says Barr considering exit
- Bloomberg qualifies for 2 primary debates
- Badgers close out Boilers at stripe
- Braves stick to script in blowout
- Pardon rejected in Starkweather case
- Hoosiers must right ship to go dancing
- Illini star's return sinks Nittany Lions
- Komets come out on top in early tilt
- History unearthed through gas line work
- Bellmont boys rally in 2nd half to top East Noble
- Passengers begin leaving quarantined ship in Japan